Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting Pickled

This year is the first time I've tried to grow anything other than various strains of refrigerator mold. One of the things that has gone well is the cucumbers; I have a 4x4 raised bed with a 6x6 mass of tangled vines growing in it (note to self, actually follow planting instructions next year). In the last four days I've probably taken out a dozen good-sized fruit, and there's a large number of smaller ones that should be ready to pick within the next week.

Given this, I'll be experimenting with canning tomorrow. Although I've purchased a pressure canner, I'll be starting the simpler water bath canner; less chance of making a explosive mistake my first time out. If it works, I'm probably going to have enough pickles to last me until next summer.......

2 comments:

cmblake6 said...

Excellent. This is a good training exercise for what may be to come.

MauserMedic said...

cmblake6,

That had crossed my mind. As long as it doesn't get to the point where I'm making my own hog-based headcheese.....