Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Where's My Salad Suit?


I need to motivate my ass off the couch to go up to the attic to dig out a set of BDUs for my first drill weekend in over a year. The thing is, for wearing camouflage, I'll really stand out. While BDUs are still authorized, I haven't seen anyone in the Iowa Guard wear them in over a year, as they're all in ACUs.


I'll be spending most of my time hanging out in an ambulance in case someone has an oops with their rifle or pistol. Circumstances permitting, I may weasel my way into a pistol competition slot if there's any open. Nothing says you can't pull medical support and shoot on the same day.

2 comments:

Mattexian said...

I'm in the Texas State Guard, and while we are "transitioning" from BDUs to ACUs, I had to break down and get a set of ACUs last week really fast. We'd gotten called up for emergency duty, to prepare for a possible landfall of Hurricane Dean. Thankfully, that plowed into Mexico instead of Texas. This was the first time I've worn the ACUs, and I was amazed how much more comfortable they are instead of BDUs. And getting a promotion doesn't hurt near as much! ;)

MauserMedic said...

mattexian: I'm hearing from a lot of troops this last weekend that the ACUs wear out fast. The BDUs are officially phased out October 31st, so I'll be finding out soon.