Thursday, September 20, 2007

That Didn't Take Long


I spent the last day of my vacation (Sunday) doing a day of drill. It was memorable in that the company I first served in, the 209th Medical Co. (Clearing), was reactived. That means that more than likely, I'll be able to get my twenty year letter while serving in the same company I entered the Guard in, which has a nice symmetry to it.

The other event that made the day memorable is that within two months of rejoining, I've progressed from rummaging in the attic for a uniform to wear, to becoming part of replacement pool of medics for an upcoming deployment, to being informed late that morning that I will be going on the deployment.

I've got a few months more at home, and then it's off to the Sinai for a year. I'll be going for a rotation with the Multinational Force and Observers. Until a few months ago, I'd never heard of this. Looking into it, I think this will be a very interesting experience, being around so many different nation's military detachments. Plus, no mortar/rocket attacks, running water (I have a profound appreciation of the porcelain toilet after months of smelling diesel and shit flambe during OIF I), quarters that aren't looted buildings or canvas, and, so I'm told, Internet access in the personal quarters.

I'm not looking forward to being separated from my family that long, and it's hard on my coworkers, but at least this time it's more than thirty-six hours notice, and a sure thing (as much as you can get in the military) that I won't be gone more than a year.

All in all, this should be pretty interesting.

No comments: