Saturday, May 19, 2007

Adding To The Ranks


Got a call from an extended family member with a question about joining the local club tonight. He's sold his motorcycle (agh....bad choice) and is thinking about buying a pistol (good choice!). Being the accommodating fellow I am, I'll be packing pistols in .22, .38, 9mm, and .45 ACP for him to try out. Should make for a pleasant Sunday afternoon, and I can do some magazine sorting prior to next month's pistol match.

Some thoughts on selling your bike without intending to buy another one; apparently he's selling his because none of the people he used to ride with are doing it anymore. Apparently that's because one of them got part of his leg amputated by a stop sign sniper two years ago, and these people who started riding in middle age realized there's real risk to zipping around on two wheels while seated on the outside of your vehicle.

I would rather drive a twenty year old clapped out Yugo and still have a highway worthy bike than have a sports car and no bike at all.

I like riding alone. I follow my own schedule, if I decide to have one, without waiting for procrastinators. I don't have to keep an eye on the barely experienced weekend rider in front of me while the eighteen year old without good judgement tries to pass me six inches on my right from behind. I pick a comfortable speed, and if I see something of interest, I can pull over without being in a pileup. If you ride to be social, you could save a lot of money and discomfort by joining a local bridge club. You'll stay dryer, warmer, and have a lot less aches and pains over the long run, and you can visit all you want without yelling over a couple of engines at seventy mph.

No comments: