Friday, October 9, 2009

The Gore Effect


I was planning on setting aside some time to work with my AR tomorrow morning.........

but it's supposed to be about 28 degrees.

I actually have worked with M16A2s in in sub-zero temperatures. Wisconsin in February is a suck-ass place to have three days of range time. Although it was interesting watching the Colorado Guard try to shoot under those conditions with nothing but M-65 field jackets and leather glove shells for hand protection. Anyhoo, 16/ARs need extra attention when the temperature drops below freezing. Maybe things are different with the A4s and civilian models these days, but somehow I doubt it. So, if I'm willing to submit my arthritic carcass to a little cold (and in Iowa, 28 degrees is just a taste of what's to come), what would be a little easier to work with?

Why, a Mosin-Nagant 91 modified by the Finns, I suppose. Reliable and proven in winter conditions far worse than what I'll see tomorrow, and with far more thumpy goodness than my poodle shooter.

Plus, I'll bet I have the range to myself.

No comments: