Sunday, March 18, 2007

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

(h/t to The War On Guns)

A long time ago, I was a police reservist in a small town. I have a lot of sympathy for police trying to do their job, as they deal with a lot crap on a daily basis. It takes a lot not to become cynical, resentful, and generally fed up with humanity. However, being a gun owner, and a devout believer in "leave me the hell alone / don't screw with me & I won't screw with you" philosophy of life, I have no sympathy when those individuals with egos bigger than their brain abuse their badge. Extra points to the homeowner for unorthodox use of a taser.

It's good to know not all judges are convinced the Constitution is a "living document" open to local changes upon the judiciary's whim.

No comments: