Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Aging Sucks



My dog has developed a slow leak. The vet says for a ten year old Golden, that's not much of surprise, although it's seen more females. So, it's pills twice a day in an attempt to tighten up aged bladder control muscles in an effort to keep him house-worthy. That's in addition to glucosamine tablets for his arthritic joints, and low-dose steroids for allergy control. He's starting to remind me of some of my elderly patients, except he's better-natured than 75% of them.

I used to watch him do running laps around the yard just because he had energy to spare. Watching him age is truly depressing, and knowing he'll probably expire within the next three years is awful. Most dogs deserve better than this; he certainly does.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a life. It's a bitch getting old and your regimen for the dog sounds suspiciously like my pill routine every morning with the addition of one aspirin for heart care. See what YOU have to look forward to. And all those pills are the reason we older gentlemen are so crochity.

claymore

be603 said...

I feel it. Put down my (almost) 13 year old chocolate lab "Bosco" last Thursday. Enjoy what you have left with him.

The Old Man said...

My red MinPin is 17. Leaky, and doesn't walk well. Enjoy while you can....