Sunday, May 20, 2007

Smorgasbord O' Guns




I made it out to the range with a member of my extended family as planned. Took a Mountain Eagle in .22LR, Springfield Armory 1911A1 modified into an attempted race gun sometime before I purchased it, Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman with scope, and one vintage piece, a Smith & Wesson Brazilian Model 1937 (Model 1917).

Two hours of noisy fun on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. I'm finding that I enjoy shooting revolvers more over the years. Maybe because I don't have to look for the brass as much.

After cleaning all of them, I decided to break out some of the bullet molds. I use a Lee six cavity 230 grain truncated cone bullet for my .45s. I also cast a batch of 240 grain semi-wadcutters for the Ruger .44 magnum.


I haven't shot any handloads out of that yet, so I have some load development to do with these. The main goal is to have some inexpensive recreational ammunition that's easy on the hands. Recoil can be fun, but it's also nice to shoot a lot without having your hands feeling like they've been smacked with a baseball bat. I've read that the Ruger .44s have some issues with cast bullets, so we'll see how it goes, especially since these are plain base rather than gas-checked. Hell, for approximately sixteen bucks for the mold, it can't hurt to experiment.

1 comment:

BobG said...

I shoot a lot of cast bullets out of my Ruger 44's; you can get a bit of lead after a while with hot loads, but a jacketed round once in a while seems to clear them out. I also use fairly hard cast bullets.