Saturday, August 18, 2007

Muleskinner


Thirty minutes before heading out to the range, I was paged in to work. A vena cava filter placement for someone at risk for throwing a clot. This one took longer than usual usual, as the patient is in his eighties, and has a number of other health problems that complicated the case. So I missed out on range time; on the other hand, I was able to talk to the patient about his military experience in China during '42-'43 driving supply mules for the Army until he was sent back to the States with active TB. Where he spent another year and a half recovering at a sanatorium.
I don't mind missing the range time when I can listen to stories like that.

1 comment:

BobG said...

Interesting; my uncle was a muleskinner in Burma during WWII. They had Gurkhas working with them, and he had a couple of kukiri knives that he picked up from them. He got wounded and also contracted malaria, so he had to be shipped back.