Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Little Slice of Heaven


This weekend:

Will be my first days off after six continuous weeks of work and Guard;

Will have the spring gunshow put on by the local gun club in the local Guard armory;

Will see some extended family on The Wife's side coming to town, resulting in a visit to the local provider of steak and beer;

Will probably result in another blast of sleet and snow after two days of acceptable (above 39 degrees and dry) riding weather if the local weather-guesser is correct.

I'll take three out four.......

Out of curiosity: Iowa has a long history of gunshows being held in armories. I've always taken this as the norm, but looking at some states' view of private gun ownership, I wonder if that is correct. Anyone have any experience with that from other states?

3 comments:

BobG said...

I've been to a lot of them here in Utah, and we've never had one in an armory that I can remember. Sounds like it might just be something particular to Iowa.

MauserMedic said...

BobG,

I've seen ads for them up in Minnesota also.....in Iowa, the unit stationed in the armory is allowed to use the funds recieved for discretionary spending (unit Christmas parties, etc) if I understand correctly. Nice way to get the community to see the armory and develop some potential recruits at the same time too.

Montana said...

Around here it's always at the Holiday Inn Convention Center. Door to the NG Armory says 'you shall not pass'.