Saturday, September 8, 2007

Where's Al Gore.....


when you need him? We got up this morning in Mitchell, SD to finish driving to Spearfish, and the temperature was in the high seventies. By the time we got to our campsite, it was in the mid-fifties. So now here I sit, typing this next to a campfire trying to stay warm, as it's getting into the low forties (another unexpected first for me: never had I thought that I would be connected to the internet while next to an open fire outdoors. I love progress.)


By the time we finished setting up, there was about thirty minutes of good light left, so I started the bike and headed down Spearfish Canyon. I lasted five minutes before the long term effects of my frostbite from the eighties showed up, forcing me to pull over and start pulling additional clothing from the saddlebags. One gaiter over the neck and up to just beneath the eyes, another gaiter over the ears, and a do-rag over that. Spent the rest of the ride down to Bridal Veil Falls and back looking like I was ready for an armed withdrawal from the local Stop & Rob.


Tomorrow is supposed to be in the high fifties, so I guess it's lots of leather for most of tomorrow again. I'll just have to keep stopping at the watering holes to stay warm.

No comments: