Sunday, June 24, 2007

Another Action Pistol Match


Put on another NRA Action Pistol match this past Saturday. I actually had more people email me and tell me they would like to show but were committed than attended. Which was a grand total of four, including myself. I think I'm going to try moving the matches to Sunday afternoons, to see if it allows for greater participation.

The match was an aggregate of the Practical and Crawford Barricade Events. My goal is to provide opportunities for our members and the local shooting community to get some use out of their handguns outside of the slow fire bullseye/pop can on the ground shooting that seems to be the standard for informal individual shooting. I know a fair number of people around here that own handguns, but have never rapid fired under any kind of stress. I've been asked why I'm so interested in getting these matches running, instead of focusing on the bulls eye that the club's been running for decades. My answer was that someone kicking in your door rarely allows you time to take up your target stance and practice your breathing routine before firing. From what I've seen in my two small matches, stress induced by firing under a time limit is conducive to humility, especially if your bullseye scores are consistently high. They won't be when you're drawing from a holster and engaging multiple targets with multiple shots in less than five seconds. On the positive side, I've seen some really big smiles when someone rips off six shots in five seconds, all on the paper, because they've never fired their pistol that fast ever, and didn't think they could do it. Or when someone learns they can consistently hit a target 50 yards out.

Next month, the Combat Event. Sixty rounds of gunny goodness, complete with assuming multiple stances during shooting. The kind of stuff guaranteed to be fun while you shoot, and joint pain inducing for the next couple days.

No comments: